Business couple from Norwich pet store bans popular treats

Posted:
2:36 PM February 1, 2021



Update:
08:46 February 2, 2021

The owners of two pet stores in Norwich have announced that they will no longer sell a number of popular treats due to health and safety concerns.

Adrian and Ali Pettitt, who own Pettitt and Boo in Bowthorpe and Fido’s of Hellesdon, say they won’t be selling treats like rawhide chews, baked bones and chocolate dog coins.

Mr Pettitt said: “Rawhide is made with a wide range of harmful chemicals including bleaches, glues and dyes, but not only, a sticky rawhide bone that is too chewed presents a risk of. considerable suffocation for pets. “


Pet owners are cautioned about harmful treats.
– Credit: Getty Images / iStockphoto

Rawhide chews are made from the hides of animals such as deer, cows, and horses. They are designed with dental hygiene in mind.

But Mr Pettitt said it may cause more problems than it’s worth.

He added, “If a dog swallows a large piece of rawhide, it can get stuck in the esophagus or further down the digestive tract. A veterinarian may be able to remove these lumps through the throat.


Rawhide dog treats

Rawhide dog treats no longer sold by Fido’s and Pettitt and Boo pet stores
– Credit: Adrian Pettitt

“If this is not possible, abdominal surgery may be needed to remove the gooey rawhide from the stomach or intestines. If this is not resolved, the blockage can be fatal.”

Chocolate coins should also be avoided because, as Ms Pettitt explained, manufacturers usually use a lot of palm oil for them.

This has raised environmental concerns in light of the destruction of rainforests, in addition to the sugar consumption associated with these treats.

Cooked bones are also at risk of breaking, and Ms Pettitt said they could cause a fatal laceration.

She said there are many healthy, natural-based alternatives out there, including Yakers, calf hooves, bull pizzle, and chicken feet.

The company is responding to the growing body of evidence that shows that a large number of popular treats are in fact very dangerous or unhealthy for pets.

Ms Pettitt said: “It is sometimes difficult as a business owner to explain to customers that a product that is very popular in pet stores is not available on our shelves.

“We believe that our role in this industry is not only to sell pet products, but also to offer advice and guidance on the products we sell.

“Storing rawhide or cooked bones – which pose a real risk to pets – would be an absolute contradiction of this commitment to offer in-depth advice to pet owners. “

Another Norwich pet store owner, who declined to be named, said there were still potentially dangerous dog products being advertised on television.

He said his store stocked rawhide, but had turned down many products from suppliers in the past.

Many dog ​​treats are made in China and Vietnam, which Pettitt says may make animal rights ethics a factor to consider.

About Patrick K. Moon

Check Also

WANT TO TRAVEL | Mindanao’s largest pet store opens in Davao

Frontage with drive-thru IN the early 90s, Davao, Victoria Plaza (now NCCC VP Mall) was …